Deep Sea Field Technician - Houston
This position is located in the Houston, TX region and will be expected to work under limited supervision. The position of DS field tech will be required to troubleshoot & repair Furuno equipment (i.e. Radars, ECDIS, VDR’s) on board vessels. Provide technical support for all Furuno products, specializing in deep sea and fishing equipment via telephone, e-mail and in person while prioritizing projects.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Travel to customers’ vessels to effect repairs on Furuno equipment.
- Inspects and tests electronic equipment, components and assemblies using multi-meters, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzer and other electronic test instruments, tools & equipment.
- Load, update and modify software as needed.
- Provide detailed service reports and enter data to CRM/SMS for each vessel attended.
- Recommend solutions for shipboard equipment problems.
- Provide technical assistance to our customers on our commercial product line via telephone and e-mail.
- Update personal knowledge base on all new products regarding installation, troubleshooting and repair.
- Conduct Internet research of our competitor’s web sites to gain product information to provide installation and interfacing solutions to our customers and Regional Sales Managers.
- Review customer complaints/equipment issues, recommend solutions and follow up with customer for satisfactory resolution.
- Conduct VDR Annual Performance Tests and issue VDR APT Certificates of Compliance.
- Conduct annual radio, AIS, EPIRB and SSAS surveys.
- Position requires an associate’s degree or equivalent education, training and experience specializing in electronic theory/engineering.
- MET experience acquired in the Navy, Coast Guard or Marines is a plus.
- Position will require obtaining an FCC license with radar endorsement and GMDSS maintainer endorsements in order to affect field repairs.
- Position requires Federal TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Card) to affect field repairs.
- Be physically fit. Work environment often involves carrying up to 50 pounds, climbing ladders and masts and exposure to weather.
- Have reliable transportation to commute to/from jobs
- Valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record
- Valid passport
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.
This position can require substantial overtime and extensive computer work. Local travel in the gulf/rivers region to effect repairs of our equipment onboard vessels. This will require climbing masts, gangways and working with high voltage and exposure to wide swings in temperature/climate. Additional travel required to attend trade shows, travel to home office and parent company for training. Position is on “on-call” status.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and minimum salary requirements) to email@example.com. Salary dependent upon exoerience. Deadline for submission is March 31, 2019.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.Furuno USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
Download the Furuno USA Employment Application
If completing the employment application online and e-mailing to Furuno, please do NOT include social security or driver’s license information.